Thursday, August 13, 2015

#PopeInPhilly

I've had no shortage of opinions about Philly's preparations for the Pope's visit to Philadelphia for the World Meeting of Families. I decided that my inaugural post under #BarbershopPhD would focus on the lack of advertisements about this event.

(Digression: I intend for my #BarbershopPhD blog to be my opinions on topics not related to education and the African American experience. For those who frequent barbershops, EVERYBODY is an EXPERT on EVERYTHING in a barbershop! I confess, I do get sick of it sometimes and just sit and listen to the latest conspiracy and how my brothers KNOW that the government conspired to
make the sun hot. So, here, I opine and I AM right, lol)

Unless, I haven't been looking in the right places or been listening to the right stations or even watching the right channels, I have not seen, heard, or viewed a single advertisement on the World Meeting of Families set to take place here in Philly in September.

What I have seen and heard are CONSTANT news media reports on the topic, massive shut down plans for roads, SEPTA's stupid solution, and all these traffic boxes and whatnot! This is the quintessential marketing strategy and it's free. Why market when you can get the media to report on some aspect of the event every single day?

I was sick of all of this when it first started and now I see that many others are finally seeing things MY way, lol

BarbershopPhD Bottom Line: The Vatican is trying to save money and signed agreements with all the news stations that they have to report on The World Meeting of Families everyday to get them free marketing! Because you notice, we haven't seen anything about pedophile priests lately.

#BarbershopPhD
#EveryoneAnExpert
#EverybodysRight

No comments:

Post a Comment